Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Sharpest Crayon In The Box ...

Suffice: intransitive verb
1 : to meet or satisfy a need : be sufficient (a brief note will suffice) —often used with an impersonal it.
2 : to be competent or capable
transitive verb : to be enough for
____________________________________________________________________

Scene: Saturday evening; Brian + I sitting on my living room's sofa.

Me: "[insert analytical mastery that escapes me at the moment] ...suffice."
Brian: "What does that mean?"
Me: [face falls]

Self-Mental Flash: "Oo no, he's dumb. Oo crap, wait, what? He's usually so smart, how can he not know what 'suffice' means? Uh-oh. How do I explain without being condescending? I don't want to hurt his feelings. Crap. I can't believe he doesn't know what 'suffice' means. I'm dating a guy who doesn't know what 'suffice' means. Crap. He's looking at me. He's reading my face. Ok, here goes ..."

Me: "Uh, well suff-"
Brian: "Honey! I know what suffice means, I was teasing! Did you really think I didn't know what 'suffice' meant?"
Me: [sigh of relief]

Self-Mental Flash: "Thank goodness! Thank you, thank you. I knew he knew what it meant! Of course he knew, I never doubted him for a second!"

Me: "Don't scare me like that! I didn't want to hurt your feelings!"
Brian: "Honey ...Suffice it to say you are a whore. Did I use it in the right context?"
Me: "Yes! I'm so relieved!"

[side-splitting/tummy aching laughter ensues]
____________________________________________________________________

No comments: