Monday, April 6, 2009

To the Posting, To the Posting ...

Originally written on: March 31, 2009

March 20th (Friday) marked the one week anniversary since Brian + I said our “I dos”.

I grabbed my apartment keys that hang on a hook near the front door, gave myself one more look over + headed down the winding staircase towards my apartment’s courtyard. Brian’s train had pulled into the city nearly a half hour before + he was now on the city’s red line headed towards me. I usually make a point to be waiting in front of the stop, denying having any spare change + at times pretending to be in the midst of a very important phone call to detract passersby, when Brian arrives.

“My husband” still feels funny to say …Especially when followed up with “actually lives two hours away + has yet to move in with me.” “Yet” being the keyword. Brian finishes school, in May + has slowly (and kindly) been moving his things into my apartment. There are a handful of his shirts hanging in the closet, comic books now take residence on top of the toilet’s tank in the bathroom. There’s turkey and real cheese in the fridge + an assortment of chicken flavored rice in the cupboard. During one of our weekends, he proudly placed one of his own books on my overcrowded bookshelf. I’ve framed a few of his sketches + he recently left a pair of his shoes, which greet me every time I arrive home. Come May, he will get off of that train once more, for good and our newlywed days of commuting will be something we will laugh about in the distant future …Much like pants with stirrups or 20-sided die.

Last week, marked not only two full weeks since our marriage but our first 10 days together, spent in secession. It was his spring break and a taste of life within the Phelps-Larsen household. Both a crowning achievement + a roaring success. It could be argued that most married couples have already crossed the bridge of cohabitation by the time they exchange their “I dos” but aside from our weekends spent together + a couple “extra” days together come holiday, Brian + I reveled in the simple joy that is going to bed + waking every morning to your spouse.

As I passed through my apartment building’s mail room, towards the courtyard …I noticed a brown package on the ground. Suspecting that it was for my next door neighbors, I took a quick glance + noticed that the address tag read: AMANDA PHELPS-LARSEN.

Aside from my Mother addressing her cards to me with “Amanda Phelps (Larsen),” I had yet to receive mail with my married name so I was pleasantly surprised + equally perplexed with the package at my feet. With my mail key, I proceeded to slice the tape + pull the flaps. Inside I found an order form + a note:

“Canon PowerShot A470 7.1 MP Digital Camera w/ 3.4x Optical Zoom (Orange)

Congratulations Amanda and Brian! We hope you use this to record all your times together and then post them on Facebook! Misses and Kisses, Lexi and Gabe”

I was shocked and quickly sprang to my feet, package in hand + the order form still between my fingers. I quickly walked towards the train, excited to tell Brian, stopping every few steps to reread the note.

One of the reasons Brian + I had such a small/quiet wedding was due to the fact that it seemed slightly wrong to invite people to a wedding with the expectation of giving gifts. Most of our friends are either unemployed, underemployed, fearful of losing their jobs or in Lexi’s case giving birth to her first child three days after Brian and I’s wedding. If anyone was to be off the hook, it would be Lexi and Gabe. I’ve known Lexi since our days at Central Intermediate. One of my best friends, she moved to Albuquerque three months before I moved to Chicago, 7 yrs ago (which had a role in my jump ship of Michigan).

Brian shared in my surprised after he stepped from the train and we walked towards home.

Me: Oo my goodness! You didn’t have to! Thank you so much …Brian + I are shocked! It’s perfect! We hope that you, Gabe + Diego are doing well! I can’t stop the !!!
Lexi: I’m glad you guys like it. I thought it would be better than a toaster.
Me: I bet it could make toast. It’s just that awesome! How are you? How’s Diego doing at home? Is he in college yet?
_____________________________________________________________

No comments: