Friday, February 23, 2007

Wet Toes: All Before A Cup of Coffee

Note: I hate the word "jug"

Forgive me, it's been months since I last changed my kitchen faucet's water filter. In fact, I've further it's neglect by regularly purchasing 2.5 gallon jugs of water, @ my local grocery store.

After work, Thursday evening, I had a few errands to run before calling it a night and attempting to go to sleep @ a regular hour, in order to wake up @ 5AM and get ready for my AM Friday shift. My errands included a trip to the grocery store w/ water on my list. I purchased two and made it home -Putting one in my fridge and the other on the top shelf of my linen closet.

My alarm was set for 4:58AM (Why 4:58? I haven't a clue. My alarm and I have a love/hate relationship and I didn't want to mess with it for fear I'd be late for work). Fortunately, I have a back-up alarm system in the form of a 15 lbs., black + white Primo -Powered by Pavlov's Theory ("Beep beep" = FOOD).

4:58AM: Beep, beep ...beep, beep. I shut the alarm off, still asleep. A couple of minutes later, Primo springs into action -Pawing, whining, batting @ my head. Though, this morning, there was a greater sense of urgency in Primo's high pitch wails. Milo soon joined in w/ his very distinct, nose-crinkled squeal. Where's the fire!? Did Timmy fall down the well!?

Blurry-eyed and barefoot, I stumbled (gracefully, I'm sure) out of bed and into the living room (also known as "the rest of my apartment"). There, I was met with Lola running in circles, w/ her duck-like squawk. Except this time none of them were bee-lining it towards the kitchen ...No, this time they were running towards the linen closet, stopping aburptly -And that's when I saw it. That's when I woke up.

Cracked open, laying on it's side and (now) empty -The water jug -It's contents completely drained and soaking through my carpet -All 2.5 gallons. By this time I had managed to open one eye, the other still blurry. I walked into the kitchen and poured myself a glass of water (I think my first reaction was "Crap! ...I'm thirsty").

510AM: There I was in my nightgown, feet wet, in a pool of soggy carpet, grabbing @ towels -a sad attempt to sop up this mess ...And all the while, forcing myself to laugh.

Me: "CRAP!" [forced laughter]
Milo: "Waaaaaaaa!!"
Me: "I know!"
Primo: "Meoooooow!!"
Me: [forced laughter] "I know!"
Milo: "Waaaaaaaa -aaaaaa -aaaaa!!"
Me: [forced laughter] "I'm trying to clean it up! I'm not awake!"
Lola: "Squawk! Squawk!"
Me: "Exactly!"

After all towels were in place ...I tip-toed my way to the bathroom. Once in the shower, I was comforted with a newfound appreciation for the way the water neatly ran towards a rust-colored drain.

"Wait, I need a towel! CRAP! [forced laughter]".

No comments: