Thursday, November 27, 2008

And to Those I May Have Forgotten ...

Written on Nov. 14th, 2008

Yes, I write. Yes, at times I’ve referred to myself or have been referred to as a writer. Yes, I overuse commas and ellipsis’s. Plus, due to my texting habit I often replace “and” with the plus symbol. There are times I neglect to pre-edit but if any of you (and most of you have) have ever spoken with me there’s the ongoing debate that either I write how I talk or talk how I write. Hello chicken. Hello egg. On your mark …Get set …Go!

What I’m getting at is that whether or not I’m a writing writer, a talking writer or a writing talker …I have stuck to my guns that I have never dreamt or have aspired to write a book. The next “Great American” novel is not in me and I take much glee in that. Though it’d be an honor to write a how-to pamphlet or perhaps a collection of saved voicemails …I prefer to keep any and all ties with books (of which there are many) at a reader level.

That all said there is one fantasy I think any and all writers be it lit, blogging, even music share in …That one page sometimes put in the front and sometimes buried in the back: The “I’d like to thank …” page. So I figured I’d cut to the skinny of any good book and write my “I’d like to thank page”. Especially due to recent events throughout the past couple of months, I find the act of thanking quite fitting be it between two covers or on your computer’s screen.

Ahem.

The Author would like to thank:

Lisa + Paul (there’s a bottle of wine on my counter with our names on it), Jovan + Rey (I’ll be sure to pour you each a glass as well), Nick (for your continued presence in my life + pushing me to keep writing. I have the utmost respect for you), Jason (we’ve stuck to our guns for 6 yrs. [insert something deep + meaningful that would make us both sort of vomit in our mouths but is meant just the same]), Lexi (I miss your face always + my coffee is lonely), Jeff (we are retarded + our child would have hooves. You know the rest), Chris (for being a beacon of laughter + getting me to do outrageous digit drops on your behalf), James (for giving my plants a home, the smiles + steady breathing),Luke (for what it is worth),Mikey (for all of the fiercesness, taking expert care of my tresses + your no-bounds honesty), John (for all of the days of red mung bean dumplings + midget witch brooms. I wish you + Fando the best on your travels), Paul + Ana (the best neighbors turned friends a person could ask for), Elena (for calling me “snarky” + finding it refreshing), Greg (my phony green card husband by way of Finland), Danger Mike (for all the burritos + Bears/White Sox scores), Carissa (for all of those pep talks that went without questioning), Mat (for all the California lingo), Rebecca (your enthusiasm + downright sunny disposition is infectious), Mark (for becoming Canadian + 8 yrs of friendship), my Kopi family for keeping me slathered in hummus, fueled with caffeine and taking me in (Scott, Jesse, Garrett, Liza, Jenny, Chris, Rebecca + Lance, the best hummus rolls ever), to both Tristin + Rob (new friends + amazing Americanos).

I’d also like to say thank you to the four faces I start my days + end my nights with: Lola, Primo, Milo + Alton. You have never been able to truly comprehend all that is going on around you but you all find me when I need you the most. I’m always reminding you in some foreign language that we will be ok + I mean it more with each day.

To my family: Matthew, the best brother I’ll ever have (Thank goodness Mom just went through the change). I love knowing you + I'm proud. My Mother, my Mom, my Mommy, Robin. Thank you most of all for your unwavering support, pride and the unconditional love that defines Motherhood, that defines you. I should also say thank you for all of the material you give me on a near daily basis. You are truly the funniest woman I’ve ever known + your reflection follows me throughout my days. To my Father who instilled in me the importance of a clean home, the proper use of a lint brush and taught me that unexpected people might break your heart but that they too are human. Without meaning to you taught me the most important lesson that is empathy.

To Ben Schaafsma (Sept. 7th 1982-Oct. 25th 2008), the memory + the inspiration of you is now a part of me. You helped wake me up + there’s a lot I wish I could to tell you. Seeing how many people you’ve touched, how much you were able to cram within 26 years. I will forever be in awe + admiration, both of which continue to be inspiring.

To Chris Saathoff (July 1st, 1978-February 14th, 2004) , your life + loss carries throughout today. There are many moments I know your memory has kept me safe.

Dianna Catenacci + Patricia Bouck, there are no words try as I might to say thank you for all that your pressence + memories have instilled within me. Dianna, your laughter still echoes + the memory of your tenacious fight for life has picked me up when I’ve fallen. Patricia, you gave me the best gift of all that is my Mother and it was her who instilled in me your legacy.

I’d also like to extend gratitude towards: Harry Nilsson, traffic lights, Merrium-Webster, NPR/Chicago Public Radio, the Hopleaf, Bell + Howell, Richard Dreyfuss, Dean Martin, fabric softener, Sprint, the city that is Chicago, Intelligenstia, indoor plumbing, Simon’s, both Dell + Apple respectively, Featherproof Books, my dentist Dr. Deaver and ibprofrin.

No comments: