Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Good Morning, Billy: No Bugs Here

My morning started off, as usual ...Slippers on, boiling water for coffee, NPR on the radio, feeding my cats, giving Primo his insulin, checking email, browsing today's newsy tidbits, hair pulled back in a messy nest on top of my head.

Halfway through my first cup of coffee, there was a knock on the door ...Oo no, Oo no, I forgot! My building had passed out a memo noting that on Tuesday, my Billy Preston lookalike exterminator (w/ a gold tooth that I just now noticed) would be going from apartment to apartment, as a precautionary measure. I work this afternoon and Lisa and I are meeting up for a pre-work lunch. Since there was no clear/cut time, I had been meaning to flag down my building manager and explain that I'm not completely sold with anyone coming into my place and neither are my three cats.

[knock on the door -"Tap tap"]
[Mental note: CRAP! CARDIGAN!]
Me: "Just a moment, please!"
[knock knock]
Me: "I'll be right there!"
[Mental note: C'mon arm, go through sleeve! Button, button!]
[Peek through peephole ...It's Billy Preston! Answer the door]
Billy Preston: "Well g'morning lil lady!"
Me: "Why hello, good morning"
Billy Preston [non-subtle look up and down] "Why aren't you a sight!"
[nervous laughter, trying to hide behind the door]
Billy Preston: "I was wonderin' when I'd get to your apartment and now my morning is made!"
[more nervous laughter ...What could I say? You're welcome? Glad I could make your day? Look, it's me and my nightgown? C'mon in and watch me brush my teeth?]
[Mental note: Billy Preston has seen me in my nightgown!]
Me: "I got the memo saying you'd be going through the building, today."
[Mental note: Billy preston has seen me in my nightgown!]
Billy Preston: [stick head through doorway w/ a spray container, eyes my cats] "Ooo, you got kitties!"
Me: "Yes, three of them ...And I wasn't sure if any spraying would be neccesary, for their safety"
Billy Preston: "Well, you don't got bugs, right?"
Me: "Nope! No bugs!"
Billy Preston: "That's ok, I skip the spray. You know, lil lady, anytime you need me or if you ever have a problem w/ bugs, I'm your guy! You just put a work order in and I'll be up here [knocks on my door]."
Me: "Aw, well thank you."
Billy Preston: "It sure was nice to see ya and you lookin' GOOD in the mornin'! You have yourself a beautiful day!"
Me: "You too, have a great day and thanks again!"
[Shut door ...Run to my bathroom's mirror to double check just what exactly he may have seen ...Ok, safe, I don't think he saw anything. I'm a lady!]

CRAP! Billy Preston saw me in my nightgown. Good morning to me.

From now on, I'm sleeping in a snowsuit.

No comments: